Monday, June 20, 2011

What A Difference 17 Years Makes

Brooke Widder at age 4 (left) and Brooke today (right)- A junior at Auburn University
So you think you had a tough childhood.
Last week I received an e-mail from Janet Drennan, with an attached photo of her daughter taken by me 17 years ago. It stated: "Hello Mike, I was wondering if you would be available to take an updated photo of Brooke, who is now 21 years old and a Junior at Auburn University. She'll be home for the last two weeks in June if you are available..."
When I first met Brooke Widder in 1994, she was a 4 year-old who was miraculously a survivor of Ganglioneuroblastoma. At age 2, a malignant tumor shaped like an octopus was found growing on her spinal column. Her parents were told she had a 0% chance of surviving such an aggressive cancer and were sent home from the hospital with the instructions to make their daughter comfortable for the short time she had left. Brooke's mother wouldn't accept the prognosis and found a surgeon at NYU Medical Center in New York City who was willing to try to remove the tumor. "He told us there was nothing to loose as Brooke had no chance of surviving without the surgery," Janet recently recounted for me at her home in Juno Beach. "Brooke endured 2 surgeries and 5 months of massive chemotherapy, but the good news she is now happy and healthy typical 21 year-old."
Although Brooke is reluctant is discuss her childhood illness and few of her friends are aware of her history, she prefers to look to the future. "I hope to attend graduate school and continue my studies in pediatric psychology," she informed me. I then asked her what happened to all the stuffed animals that we used in her portrait all those years ago. "Actually I still have Oatmeal, who I'm holding in the photo. I'm taking her to Spain with me next month."


1 comment:

  1. A mothers love and lots of "Oatmeal"! A wonderful remedy for what ails you.

    ReplyDelete